Orthopedics — is a medical specialty that focuses on the diagnosis, correction, prevention, and treatment of patients with diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
It is closely associated with another medical specialty called traumatology, which deals with damage (injury) of the musculoskeletal system. Therefore, a doctor who specializes in providing this type of care is called an orthopedic traumatologist.
All diseases of this medical specialty are caused by abnormalities and traumatic changes of the musculoskeletal system.
What is the musculoskeletal system?
All bones, ligaments and muscles of the body make up the musculoskeletal system.
It performs the following functions:
- carcass (provides the body shape, fixation of organs and muscles)
- protective (protects vital organs from external exposure)
- locomotor (movement in space)
- as well as takes part in blood formation and metabolic processes
Main causes of deformities and damage
- physical injuries, damage
- genetic conditions
- congenital diseases
- unhealthy lifestyle
- strenuous physical activity
- age-related changes
When should you consult a domain specialist?
There are a number of symptoms when you should urgently visit the orthopedist since these symptoms may be indicative of serious diseases.
Specialist’s help is needed if the following conditions are observed:
- inflammatory processes in the joints
- pain on movement
- stiff and crunchy joints
- back or limb pain
- simultaneous numbness in limbs
- postural disorder and rapid fatigability
- weather-related acute and dragging pains
In addition, such manifestations as chronic headaches, nerve root pains (girdle pains that are not related to the pathology of internal organs) may make you think about consulting a specialist since they indicate the presence of the intervertebral osteochondrosis.
Diagnostic methods, a variety of diagnostic techniques provided by the Clinic
- history taking;
- quality physical examination;
- possible referral to X-ray, MRI and CT;
- doppler ultrasound of lower limb arteries;
- ultrasound of joints
Based on the examination results, the patient may be prescribed physiotherapeutic procedures such as massage and phonophoresis, which are also provided by our Clinic.
Preventive visits to the orthopedic traumatologist are advised to people engaged in sports activities or preferring extreme outdoor activities in order to early eliminate microtraumas and prevent possible problems.